Thursday, November 18, 2010

On The Road With Navy Hoops: IRVINE DAY ONE

The life of a broadcaster is sometimes exciting. You meet great people, travel to great places and get to see the country in ways some envy.

Sometimes though, there are days which really stink. Take for instance today for me.

I drop my daughter off this morning and knowing I will not see her except for my computer background for five days left me tearing up as I left our Aunt’s house. My older son is college is calling me for an opinion on a school paper, meanwhile I’m desperately waiting for Al my tire technician to finish putting tires on since I have to be at the Naval Academy by 4pm. Al comes through in the clutch. I’m out the door by 3:30. By the way I killed time walking around the mall which is always exciting, and found out JC Penney is open at 3am the day after Thanksgiving and send that information to my wife via text. %:22, my middle son texts and says who is picking me up? I replay Mom, and before I can say anything else he hangs up!

The best part of the day is sitting across from Navy Head Basketball Coach Billy Lange and taking in knowledge that I can use and some I can’t on the air as The Mids are set to play three games in three days in Irvine, California. Yes I get to see the Anteaters!

Good news, the flight to Denver arrives on time, and after a purchase of Chocolate Chex Mix, its on to the connector to Orange County, California and John Wayne Airport. We’re early the pilots says with glee as if they have done us a favor! Well it has been a good flight.

While people say “Wow that’s a great job” and don’t get me wrong it beats making a living in much tougher and less rewarding ways, it’s times like this where some of us who have taken family for granted at times while collecting our experience through this career, get a reality check.

No matter how fun, how exciting, when all is said and done, all you have when the game is over, is your family. Right now, I miss mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment